Veneers are a thin layer of tooth colour material, (usually porcelain) used to create a natural look of teeth while also providing strength. It is a choice material to make slight alteration of position or to change tooth size, shape or colour.
- If your front teeth are stained, chipped, or malaligned, veneers will give you a good life-like appearance with minimum tooth adjustment.
- A veneer is a porcelain facing on the front of your teeth usually your top teeth, it is just like a false finger nail.
- Veneers are made out of porcelain and are used mainly for aesthetic reasons.
- Veneers make teeth look natural and healthy, and because they are very thin and are held in place by a special strong bond (rather like super-glue) very little preparation of the tooth is needed.
- Porcelain veneers can improve the colour, shape and position of teeth.
- A precise shade of porcelain can be chosen to give the right colour to improve a single discoloured or stained tooth or to lighten front teeth (usually the upper ones) generally.
- Veneers can also be used to close small gaps, when orthodontics (braces) are not suitable.
- If one tooth is slightly out of position, a veneer can sometimes be fitted to bring it into line with the others.